CAMPBELL FARMS SUSTAINABILITY
Commitment to sustainability at Campbell Farms is a key factor driven by our strong desire to make agriculture safe, sustain our land and to be the best stewards of the precious resources God has blessed us with.
We don't take our natural resources for granted and appreciate the opportunity to work with our rich soils and great employees to allow our farms and packing operations to produce healthy and safe products to assure your family can trust in Campbell Farms as a leader in making agriculture safe for today and generations to come.
Tom Campbell - Campbell Farms
Although food safety may be taken for granted by many consumers, Campbell Farms believes the principles of food safety must be reviewed, monitored and improved on a daily basis. Consumers need to rest assured the food they are consuming is coming from a source dedicated to being able to track produce back to its roots.
Campbell Farms offers that assurance literally – knowing from where the seed originated, what happened in the growing field it was planted, right through its harvest and finally the road taken to reach the shelf where it was purchased. That traceability is our pledge to you.
Our farms are inspected by Primus GFS. PrimusGFS is a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) fully recognized audit scheme covering both Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) scopes, as well as Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS).
GFSI stands for Global Food Safety Initiative, a global food industry organization that creates and implements a food safety benchmarking framework. The GFSI recognition of the PrimusGFS audit scheme helps move us one step closer to the desired goal of global food safety harmonization.
If you are one that takes food safety for granted – go ahead. We can assure you that we don’t.
Jerel Lindgren – Food Safety Director
Safety Management Program
Campbell Farms is committed to everyone’s safety. We believe each and every employee is an equal partner – that there is no rank when it comes to safety.
Safety must be a part of work not merely a requirement of work. As such we actively work together towards the continuous improvement of our Safety Management Program:
- Regular Safety Meetings
- Fire Safety Preparedness
- First Aid Readiness
- Personal Protection Equipment
- Lock Out / Tag Out Program
- Hazard Recognition
- Accident Analysis
- Distracted Driving Education
- Equipment /Employee Training
- Much More
No matter whether you’re in the field, in the packinghouse, in the office, planting, cultivating, driving or harvesting, everyone shares in the outcome. Safety happens when everyone commits and learns to do the right thing – even when no one else is looking.
Jerel Lindgren – Safety Director
Technology & Innovations
Campbell Farms focuses on the 3 aspects of sustainability every day and with every business decision that is made. Those aspects include environmental, economical and social sustainability.
At Campbell Farms we try to maintain the soil and leave in better condition then when we started:
- Petiole & Soil samples for fertility recommendations
- Topography mapping for drainage
- Cover crops to improve soil biology, organic matter & reduced pesticide applications
- Crop rotations to break disease cycles, improve soil qualities and to utilize nutrients left over from potato crop
- Partnerships with local Universities for potato research
- Water conservation
To help reduce our impact on the environment, this is just a small example as to how Campbell Farms tries to reduce our impact.
- Organic Production
- Autosteer to maximize land use
- Optical Sorting for grading purposes
- Internal X-ray to view internal defects
- Truck/Trailer combos to move more product on less fuel consumption
- Location of our satellite farms to strategically place them for shorter transportation to consumers, so product stays fresh
- Donations to the area Food Banks